Looking for the most surprising Telegram statistics and trends? Read here about stats and users demographics.
Telegram is a chat service like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, which are both owned by Meta.
Since August 2013, when it first came out, Telegram has been a favourite because it is free and has strict rules about privacy. Many people think of Telegram as a game-changer because it is all about the user.
Not only are calls and texts encrypted, but it also doesn’t have ads and is committed to staying free forever.
In the past few years, Telegram has become more and more popular. In fact, earlier this year, many WhatsApp users switched to Telegram so they could use its strong privacy features. Users were annoyed by how often WhatsApp changed its privacy rules, which included sharing data with its parent company Meta (Facebook).
Read on to know the more surprising statistics on Telegram.
Quick Telegram Statistics & Trends 2023
- There are 550 million users of Telegram every month. a 175% increase since 2018.
- In August 2021, Telegram was the seventh-most downloaded app on iOS and Android.
- There are 55.2 million daily active users of Telegram.
- Each month, the typical Telegram user logs in for 2.9 hours.
- Over 60% of all Telegram users were acquired in the last three years, indicating the company’s rapid growth.
- Furthermore, in January 2021, Telegram experienced a brief surge of 25 million new users in a matter of days.
- Since its inception eight years ago, the application has grown at a rate of about 40% per year.
- On October 4, 2021, when Facebook and Instagram went downtime, Telegram saw a spike of 70 million new users in a single day.
Statistics on Monthly Telegram Users
- 350 million new users have joined Telegram in the past three and a half years.
- In just 72 hours in January 2021, 25 million new users joined Telegram. This translates to about 8.33 million new signups daily.
- In actuality, Telegram’s user base has increased at a rate of more than 40% annually since its launch in 2013.
|DATE||MAU (Monthly Active Users)|
|March 2014||35 mil|
|December 2014||50 mil|
|September 2015||60 mil|
|February 2016||100 mil|
|December 2017||180 mil|
|March 2018||200 mil|
|October 2019||300 mil|
|April 2020||400 mil|
|January 2021||500 mil|
|July 2021||550 mil|
Telegram App download statistics
Based on data, Telegram is the seventh most popular non-game app on Google Play.
In 2021, a lot more people have downloaded the Telegram app. In the first half of 2021, a total of 214.7 million people downloaded the app.
Sensor Tower data shows that, between the App Store and Google Play, more than 63 million people downloaded the Telegram app in January 2021, making it the most downloaded app in the world.
As of August 31, 2021, Telegram had been downloaded 1 billion times, making it the 15th app in the world to do so.
Telegram User Stats by Region
- In 2020, the US telegram penetration rate will be 3%; an improvement over 2019, when the rate was only 1.85% (Statista)
- Every month, 10 million people in the United States of America use Telegram.
- Telegram is used by 23% of Brazilians on a daily basis. (Telephone Time)
- Only 3% of Brazilians said they had never used Telegram. (Telephone Time)
- Telegram is used by 5% of Canadians on a regular basis (Statista)
- 56.3% of respondents said they use the app Telegram, which shows that it is popular in Nigeria. (DataReportal, 2021)
- South Africa is different because only 19.7% of people there have the app. (DataReportal, 2021)
- In Ghana, the app is used by more people: 40.8%. (DataReportal, 2021)
- By February 2021, Telegram had been downloaded 444,45 times from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. (Aernow, 2021)
- In the Netherlands, Telegram was downloaded 142,748 times from the Apple App Store and 165,142 times from the Google Play Store in 2015.
- In 2019, almost 400,000 people in the Netherlands downloaded the app.
- In the Netherlands, 8% of the people surveyed in 2020 say they use Telegram.
- Over 30,643 people in Belgium downloaded Telegram in May 2020.
- In Germany, 184,92k people downloaded Telegram on Android devices in February 2020.
- In the UK, only 3% of people said the same thing. (Statista, 2020)
- In Italy, 32% of people use Telegram. (Statista, 2020)
- 32% of Spanish people in their 20s and 30s use Telegram. (Elogia, 2020)
Telegram stats in Russia
TechCrunch says that 100 million people have downloaded Telegram since it came out. This makes up 10% of all the downloads of Telegram.
A survey by Deloitte found that 50% of Russians had installed Telegram on their phone, which is 40% more than in 2019. WhatsApp, on the other hand, had been downloaded by 88% of respondents.
Telegram Channel Statistics
Telegram launched a channel feature in 2015, and it has grown in popularity since then.
We found some most popular Telegram channels:
|Channel Names||Number of Followers (in Millions)|
|Bollywood HD Movies Latest||4.1|
|Crypto Trading Bitcoin||2.9|
|Bitcoin News Crypto and Technical Analyst||2.8|
Telegram Revenue Statistics
- Gram, Telegram’s blockchain-based cryptocurrency, was shut down in 2020 because the company didn’t register a $1.7 billion token sale that happened early. (The Verge)
- In 2018, Telegram got $1.7 billion to help it reach its goal of turning the network into a business. (TechCrunch)
- The US Securities and Exchange Commission fined Telegram $18.5 million because of a disagreement with the app’s cryptocurrency company. (MarketWatch)
- As part of the civil penalty, Telegram had to pay back $1.2 billion to its investors. MarketWatch says that Telegram would have made $4 billion in profits if the IT department hadn’t gotten rid of Gram (cryptocurrency).
Telegram Security Statistics
- Telegram collects and correlates IP addresses, mobile phone numbers, contact lists, and user IDs. (Source: Business Insider)
- A deepfake bot targeted over 680,000 females, the majority of whom were under the age of 18. (Source: Business Insider)
- Approximately 70% of the deep fake bot’s users were in or near Russia. (Source: Business Insider)
- Telegram was used to spread 3.77% of malware disguised as an internet communication solution. (Securelist)
- As of 2020, Telegram was used in 2.1% of eCommerce-related frauds in Singapore.
- Many organisations have declared Telegram to be aone of the safest apps, which is why it is used by many extremist groups.
That concludes my list of user statistics for Telegram.
One of those apps that only shares very little data is Telegram. Therefore, I made an effort to gather the stats that were dispersed among news stories and founder interviews.
Telegram appeals to people and organizations who want to conduct covert operations for the same reasons it appeals to those who value privacy. Nevertheless, as long as you are using safe channels and texting verified official accounts, you don’t need to worry about such activities.
Telegram is expanding quickly around the world as it continues to grow. In the future, we’ll learn even more amazing information about it, and we’ll make sure to update this post with it.
Which country use Telegram app the most?
Telegram penetration averages around 25% in the countries listed below (Brazil, India, and Spain), with Spain leading the way at 26%.
Who owns the Telegram app?
Pavel Durov, who is 37 years old, made the messaging app Telegram and owns it. People have called the billionaire the “Mark Zuckerberg of Russia.” Forbes says that Durov has a net worth of $15.1 billion. He was born in St. Petersburg, which was part of the Soviet Union.
Why is Telegram popular?
The reason for this is because Telegram has improved its use of cloud computing. In essence, it will save all of your messages as well as any photos you upload to a protected server. Because of this, you can access them from any connected device, which makes Telegram significantly more multi-platform friendly than other messaging apps like WhatsApp.
Sources & References: